Living The Blessed Life...

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I'm on a roll

"Aww, sweet Krimmas tree!!!!"


Two days in a row? I rock! :-p

While I became acquainted with my new BFF, Mickey, David and Amelia took a little trip into town. (Mickey is my new B&D Mouse Sander with which I see a lasting and meaningful relationship with. Get it? Mouse...Mickey...ha!) I dressed Amelia in a cute little romper and her pink and white coat. Next thing I knew, David was taking off her pink coat and exchanging it for her blue UNC Tar Heel hoodie. "Why," you ask? So "she could match Daddy," of course. Makes perfect sense to me...

Come to think of it, David's mom brought Amelia to church one Sunday morning wearing matching black dresses with white polka dots. I guess the apple didn't fall far from that tree! *grins*

When David and Amelia got back home, I was in her room spending time with Mickey. I heard, "Mommmmmmyyyyyyyyyy. Where ARE youuuuuuuu????"

She rounds the corner.

"Der you are! Awww, Mommy. So happy to see you!"

She runs down the hall, into her room and hugs my leg while telling me how happy she is to see me. *heart melt* This is honestly the sweetest child I've ever seen in my life! Have you met David or me? I seriously have NO idea where she gets it from...

Before running back to the living room to make sure David didn't disappear, Amelia hands me her shoes, then her socks and I looked down to realize she had unsnapped every single snap on legs of her jumper, creating a funky skirt/dress type of garment. Before I can say anything to David, he says, "Your daughter began to undress in Walmart. We were almost done, so I let her." You would've thought we were discussing the weather, but it's such a regular occurrence with her, we just weren't a bit surprised. She usually waits until she's in the car, though.

Although I'm sure it will come to no surprise to most of you that I'm already thinking of Amelia's birthday party coming up in May, you may be shocked to know that I think I've already decided on a "theme." Wouldn't a carnival/circus party - complete with bounce house, popcorn machine (Pawpaw Rusty has one of those!), cotton candy machine (I think Aunt Kristi got one of those for Christmas...hehe!), a photo booth (simple cardboard "booth" and someone to take the picture), hotdogs, and all sorts of stuff - be FUN for kids of all ages?!

I'm the first person to admit that Amelia couldn't possibly care less about the themes of her parties or if she even has a party. I don't do it for show or anything like that. I do it because I REALLLLLLLLLY love doing stuff like this and her birthday parties are the only chance I get to do it. The planning, the decorating, seeing how much of the decorations and supplies I can make instead of buy, it's all so much fun! I already have next year's "theme" picked out, then I guess she'll be old enough to come up with her own ideas. THAT'S going to be interesting!

On a more personal and emotional note, Amelia's birthday parties are, for me, a celebration of her life, of the very fact that she's even here. God has blessed us with this amazing little girl and I don't, for once second of ANY day, take that for granted. She is the reason God put me on this Earth and I am so very honored and grateful that He chose me to be her mother. I spent the first 32 years of my life feeling lost. I can remember asking my mom, at age 7, why I was here. What was my purpose?

I remember it as plain as day. I was sitting on the edge of a stunning, and oh-so-trendy avocado green bathtub while Mom applied her makeup and fixed her hair. (Show of hands - how many of you women have similar memories of meaningful conversations being discussed in the bathroom while your mom "got ready?") When my 7 year-old voice asked, "Who am I? Why was I born?" her hand stopped in midair, mouth open in the customary applying-your-mascara fashion, and she looked at me like I was from some other planet. I think it was then we realized I might be a little on the different side.

I doubt she remembers this conversation but I do because the next question I asked was in reference to the veins on the bottom of my tongue. I was convinced they held my tongue together but I wasn't quite sure how. She wasn't either.

It wasn't until our Miracle Girl was born that I had my answer. Well, to why I was born, not the tongue thing. I've often said that Motherhood is the only thing I've ever felt like I was truly good at, but you know, there are days I'm not so sure I'm even doing that right. I naively thought I had until at least 10 years age before my child developed the ability to roll her eyes and look at me as if she thinks I'm a complete moron. Ha! Wasn't I cute in all my innocence?

On to "Project Room" news:

She has a room. It's still a project. The end.

Thank you for checking in.










hehe! All 6 shelves have been sanded and applied three coats of primer. I'm letting the last coat dry overnight before giving them a light sanding and painting them in the same white trim color. For those taking notes, the trim color is called "Soft White." There might be a test later.

Before primer:



After 3 coats of primer:



They're not perfect nor showroom quality, but considering they're going to look like a really big ladder to a 2 year old, I'm not all that concerned. If I put them in any other room in the house for a photo wall (Nana - this would be GREAT for putting the grandkids' pictures in the hall like you mentioned!), I'll probably use better quality wood so that there aren't so many blemishes. I went the inexpensive route by using simple furring strips this time but I think they'll still look pretty awesome!

In between coats, I got a little bored:


Yep, that's going to be a much bigger pain in my butt than I initially thought. See? It's never, ever easy-peasy! LOL

This is where the shelves are going:


The door to the left is her closet. I still have to order her curtains so they won't be here in time for "Christmas."

Amelia came in while I was hammering down nails in the subfloor today, and as she always does, said, "Want to do it! Meeya do it!" I handed her the hammer and gave instruction to ONLY hit the floor. No walls, no doors, no bed, no toes, no nothing but the floor. "Understand?" "Yes ma'am." awwwwww!! So my little helper went to town, hammering away. My papaw would get the biggest kick out of her. She is so, SO much like I was at her age. Everything HE did, I wanted to do - and he usually let me, much like I do Amelia. He was a carpenter, so I grew up helping him fix stuff for Granny or build porches/decks. I think he would be proud of what Amelia and I are accomplishing in her room (and David, too!).

Do you ever miss somebody so much it makes your heart ache? Literally, not figuratively. That's how I feel when I miss my papaw. He's been gone almost 9 years now and I can still hear his voice telling the same old stories, singing and praying. I can smell his unique scent of sawdust and Juicy Fruit gum, and see his strong, weathered hands as they worked or as they lifted up to pray or wave at someone driving down the road. I sure wish Amelia could've known him as I knew him and I'd give almost anything to see him look at her as I imagine he must've looked at me a time or two.

On that note, I'm going to sign off. That's getting a little too emotional and I don't feel like being emotional. You know I have to be in the mood for that sort of thing!

I will take "real" pictures tomorrow. You know...pictures of the reason you're even here. LOL That is, if she'll let me. This child that had a camera shoved in her face from the moment of birth almost, has become camera shy! That's just not going to work, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Thank you for being here. ♥♥








No comments:

Post a Comment